Tuesday, July 16, 2013

BS Top Ten Horror Survival Games

  I have a confession to make, everyone. I am completely infatuated with Naughty Dog's latest PS3 exclusive, "The Last of Us". I have been playing this game nearly nonstop (a girlfriend, and full time job kinda keeps me from it momentarily). I have talked about it with my friends to the point that they're sick of hearing about it.

  Why do I love this game? Is it the gripping story, or the empathetic characters? Well, "The Last of Us" has that in spades, but no. No, the reason I love this game so much is that it reminds me of everything I've been missing from horror survival games. The creepy atmosphere, the pants soiling suspense, the feeling that one gets when they are only seconds away from having their throat ripped out, and their corpse turned into a human fudge-pop. The so-called "horror survival" games that come out today seem more like action/adventure mixed with some horror elements.

So, in the spirit of "The Last of Us", I have put together a top ten list of my favorite horror survival games. Enjoy!

#10: Alone in the Dark





  This one is more of an honorable mention. I personally didn't really care for it. Granted I was introduced to "Alone in the Dark" at a very young age, and it couldn't really hold my attention for that long. However, "Alone in the Dark" is considered the forefather of horror survival games, and is the inspiration for the next title in my list. 

#9: Resident Evil 




  There are many titles in the "Resident Evil" series, but none will hold a place as near to my heart as the first. This was the very first survival horror game I ever played, and that's a fact I'm damn proud of. The year was 1997, I was 9 years old, Notorious BIG was gunned down in a drive-by shooting (respect), and that god-awful Batman & Robin movie was made (seriously, George Clooney, wtf). 1997 was also the year I discovered Resident Evil. 

 Now, I was a horror nut from a young age for the simple reason that my parents didn't want me around it. I wasn't into zombies that much, though. I was still pretty well entertained with vampires, and werewolves... especially werewolves. However, a friend of mine had just gotten this "sweet ass game" from his brother called "Resident Evil", and, being the tragic social train wreck I was (and pretty much still am), I jumped at the opportunity to play it at his house. 

  We played that game for probably 12 hours solid, alternating turns nearly every half hour. That game frightened the ever loving fuck-nuts off us. We played for that long because, after having our throat ripped out by zombies for about an hour, sleep was impossible. We even resorted to urinating in an empty milk jug to avoid the bathroom. The creepy atmosphere, music, and camera angles haunted our nightmares for weeks. 

#8: Silent Hill 



  Silent Hill will forever remain infamous for making me frightened whenever I'm anywhere near a baby. The creepy, surrealism of Japanese horror was something still very alien to western audiences, and when Silent Hill hit the shelves it was bound to be the subject on a lot of people's minds, and sometimes not in a very good light. Keep in mind, this is before "The Ring" introduced Japan's unique style of horror to a mainstream, western audience. Given also that the main character's daughter was missing, and possibly hurt and/or dead through out the game didn't settle the player's minds at all. Keep in mind that in 1999 the JonBenét Ramsey case was still a very big deal. 

#7: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth 






Oh, Cthulhu. Always driving people insane, and trying to end the world. When will you ever stop? Now, it should be noted that this game is not based on the H.P. Lovecraft story "The Call of Cthulhu", but rather the table-top roleplaying game of the same name. The atmosphere, and element of imminent danger is really on the same level as H.P. Lovecraft's "weird fiction". This, topped with a sanity factor that could cause the game to actually glitch on purpose really fucked with you. Also, conditions like broken limbs, and injuries actually effects the gameplay, making this game really intense as you progress. 

6: The Blair Witch Project Volume 1: Rustin Parr 


  I know the movies are sub-par at best, but the trilogy of games that spawned from them were actually pretty good; especially "Rustin Parr". This game is a sequel to the game "Nocturnal" (also the namesake of the engine used to develop the game), and a prequel to the film itself. Take a creepy, foreboding atmosphere, mix that with some detective work through out the gameplay, and you got yourself a suspense souffle ready to pop at just the slightest jarring motion, and send you into a confused panic. This game truly deserves to be up there with the greats. 

#5: Siren 



  "Siren" is, simply put, a wonderfully balanced symphony of both horror, and narrative. The plot twists in this game make "Bioshock: Infinitie" look like a Dr. Seuss book in comparison. Take two parts "Resident Evil", and two parts "The Butterfly Effect", and you get "Siren". The fact that you can "sight jack", and see from the monster's (Shibito) perspective makes this game even more unsettling. 

#4: The Suffering 

  

  This game is placed at number 4 purely because of the monsters. What good is a horror survival game without monsters? Well, "The Suffering" has some of the most disturbing creatures I've ever seen put in a video game. Imagine if Clive Barker decided to make a video game. Also, Midway put the technology of the time to good use. For example, before in a horror survival game if a monster was ramming into a glass window it was because of programming, and wouldn't go any further than that. In "The Suffering" if that happened the creature, eventually, would break through. This released screams from me that I never before thought possible. 

#3: Dead Space 



  Remember what I said earlier about horror survival games feeling more like action/adventure? Well, Dead Space is both. While I usually fall under the impression that jump scares are cheap, and too practical, Dead Space pulls it off by just being unpredictable. Couple this with an overall vibe of hopelessness, and dread, and Dead Space makes number 3 of my list. 

#2: Amnesia: The Dark Descent 



  "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" is the very spirit of horror survival, putting strong emphasis on the survival part. Given that the only useful tool you carry through out the game is a lamp you are forced with no other option but to run, and hide from imminent danger. Also, this guy really creeps me out. 

#1: Fatal Frame 



  Now, it's really hard to sell me on a ghost story. Especially one labeled "based on a true story". However, Fatal Frame did that, and more. Now, not only is your camera the only weapon in the game, but you have to focus it in on the spirits, and let them get close before you can snap a picture, ultimately destroying them. So, not only do you have Ghosty McGhostfuck more than willing to do god-knows-what to you, but you have to wait till he gets just close enough to kill you. If that's not sadistic then I don't know what is 

*note: This list is based on games I've actually played, and odds are it will not match completely with anyone else's.









No comments:

Post a Comment